Tuesday, April 6, 2010

About Me

Hi there! My name is Keelia Liptak, and I'm a sophomore at Saint Michael's College in Vermont.

You might ask, why would a theatre person go to college in Vermont instead of pursuing the big city life? The truth is, I was accepted at Fordham in NYC, but being a Vermont girl my whole life I chose to stay in the less crowded, more laid-back lifestyle that I'm used to. Oh, and the finanical aid factor didn't hurt, either :)

So I'm from Moretown, Vermont, a little town in the Mad River Valley near Montpelier and Waterbury. I live behind a mountain, surrounded by woods, and grew up without TV or internet, which in reflection I've come to realize is a fantastic way to grow up. Imagine reading books and climbing trees, except ALL the time!

As I mentioned, I'm a theater major here at Saint Mike's, and I also recently picked up a Spanish minor. I've worked professionally in theater across Vermont at the Barre Opera House, the Waterbury Festival Playhouse, the Skinner Barn in Waitsfield, and last summer, here at the Saint Michael's Playhouse, all behind the scenes. This spring will be my first time onstage in Saint Michael's spring mainstage, The Notebook of Trigorin.

Otherwise, my time is spent studying Spanish, since I am applying to study abroad in Spain next spring. I enjoy reading, watching movies with friends, spending time at home with my dog, and hanging out with my boyfriend John, also at St. Mike's. I have two older brothers, who have influenced me greatly; Dan, who will be graduating from the Hartt School of Music in Hartford, CT, this spring and also getting married this summer (!!!!!) and Andy, graduate of Norwich University in VT and writer, blogger, and sci-fi fan. I have to say, my taste has been affected by both of them, both in music and the arts, and also in books and movies; I can call myself a science fiction and fantasy fan, and fully appreciate various forms of music.

That's all for today! Thanks for reading! :)

1 comment: