Thursday, May 6, 2010

Closing Time

Good-byes are ringing in the air here at Saint Mike's as everyone finishes up exams. The quad is littered with half-packed cars and family members picking up their kids. End of sophomore year.

I don't really feel too nostalgic (except when thinking about our graduating seniors) because I'll be back in a matter of weeks for Saint Michael's Playhouse, the professional summer stock theater company based out of our very own McCarthy Arts Center. This will be my second summer as a stage management intern here. All I remember from last summer was lots of rain, a blur of exhaustive nights when changeover from one performance to the next happened, and learning a ton about theater. Oh, and cleaning up confetti night after night :) I'm looking forward to this summer in particular, however, because knowing a little more about what's coming is always a good thing, and John Devlin (our technical advisor and professor during the academic year) will be here this summer as production manager. Subscription tickets are on sale now!

Another thing that will be different about this summer is that I'm living off-campus! I will be sharing an apartment with two good friends just down the road from SMC, a bike ride or short drive away. Hopefully I can get my dog up here as well...but that is yet to be determined. I move in the last week of May; until then, I'll be home working on dance shows at the Barre Opera House and one at Harwood Union High School, with a company from Waterbury performing. As Matt Friedman says in Lanford Wilson's play Talley's Folly, a Playhouse show from last summer, "Worker bees working all night, never stop collecting nectar or honey or whatever it is a bee collects." That play has really stayed with me throughout this year.

And now, it is time to pack the rest of my room. It is looking pretty empty already because I hauled things over to the apartment to store for a few weeks (which is FABULOUS) and all that's left is a few things. One more night here and then it's home to my dog and a quiet house!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment