Saturday, June 5, 2010

Week 1

The first week of Playhouse is coming to a close! It seems like we have been here much longer than a week...in rehearsal we are halfway through staging the second act of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, which is pretty awesome. Hannah, the other SM intern, and I are keeping somewhat busy during rehearsals so far. She keeps track of props, I run random tasks, and we both make coffee and chalk the set groundplan out on the floor of the rehearsal room when it fades, set up props, all the good stuff. Sometimes it's hard, like last night, when the actors were working on choreography, and there was nothing for us to do for most of the time.

The other interns have different schedules than we do as well; the production interns go in at 9am and build sets till 5pm, and while later in the summer we'll all be running shows at night, these first two weeks they have evenings off. The box office interns are all acting in various shows this summer and so they work when they can outside of rehearsals. It's nice to be able to get out of rehearsal and hang out with everyone though; we watched a movie the other night, and went to watch karaoke at Unwinder's, the local sketch-fest bar, with the rest of the staff and company.

Otherwise, things are moving along, I guess! I am enjoying the atmosphere this summer a little more than last year; maybe its because I know how things work now, or because I know more people this summer, but it feels more relaxed and less like I'm seen as a child about to run away from work at the slightest chance. Perhaps everyone is more confident with the supervision of John Devlin this summer, as McCarthy IS his turf; who can tell?

I have barely seen my roommates since moving in to the apartment! How strange it is...and also nice, since they aren't demanding in any way : ) side note to self: when making cheesy scrambled eggs ALWAYS use sharp cheddar, and NEVER taco-blend seasoned cheese. Yuckk. Day off tomorrow, our first of few for the summer! I need to go shoe shopping (black flats) and grocery shopping...and maybe Molly and I will take some of the other interns into town. More in a week or so; when Spelling Bee opens and we start building for Around the World in 80 days, and plus when I finally get some pictures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment