Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Preparations

Two weeks from yesterday, I'll be starting my semester with API study abroad in Spain! I was nervous earlier, but I'm really getting excited at this point. Saying good-byes and thinking about packing helps, I think, especially considering the light clothing I'm packing! It will be in the 50s and 60s for January and February in Granada, comparable to our April-May here in Vermont, so I'll be back just in time for a second spring and summer :) I've been carefully picking through clothing and bags and other personal items to bring; it's hard because I know I will want room in my bags to fill on the way home, and also there is always the possibility of losing things or being pickpocketed...lots to think about. Still, this is an exciting time!

Leave your address in the comments if you'd like me to send you a postcard.

Although I'm not taking any theater classes while in Spain, I'm hoping the experience will broaden my horizons and give me a larger pool to draw from in terms of design in the future. I may look for a drama club at the university I'll be studying at; I may try to see some performances once I understand all of what is being said; in any case, I'm hoping to travel and take pictures and keep this blog up to date.

In other news, I've applied to about 12 summer stock theaters, ranging from Montana, Utah, Illinois, St. Louis, and (for the most part) New England and regional New York. I understand the concept of internships being resume builders and designed for the experience, but after a semester abroad I'm not going to be able to work without pay, unfortunately. Most of the theaters I've applied for offer some combination of housing, meals, and/or payment, so hopefully one will pull through! I have alternated applying for stage management and electrics positions, and have interacted with two possibilities so far. It's hard to wait until February or March to hear back, especially when faced with decision making on some places when others are still uncertainties. I'm sure something will work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment