Monday, June 6, 2011

Start of Summer

At long last I'm settled in enough to post a new blog! Since my last post, I traveled for over 24 hours to get home to Vermont, which luckily enough was a fairly straightforward trip and my luggage didn't get lost or anything. I spent two days at home unpacking, repacking, seeing friends, spending time with family, and avoiding rain and huge lightning storms...and then drove 7 hours down to Long Island to start my summer internship!

This summer I'm interning at the Gateway Playhouse, a summer stock theater in Bellport outside of the city. I've been here for one week and have already gone through an overnight changeover and tech rehearsals. We opened 'S Wonderful last Wednesday, the second show of the summer. 'S Wonderful is a Gershwin tribute musical that tells love stories through the generations with the famous songs.
Photo of Harold in 'S Wonderful: Taken from the Gateway facebook page
It's really a fun show. I'm running spotlight, being an electrics (lighting) intern, and this week and during the tech I got to do a lot of hands-on work with hanging lighting instruments, circuiting and cabling things, working on wiring, troubleshooting problems, replacing bulbs... the inventory here is pretty big and involves moving lights and color scrollers, so hopefully I'll get a little more experience in with those this summer.

One last thing that's happened in the past week and a half or so since I've arrived back in the U.S.A. is that my boyfriend Mike and I broke up :( it's been pretty discouraging to have made it so far, only to find that the distance did more damage than I knew. Being at work helps, but it still doesn't really feel real, and I feel naive to keep hoping so much. As my family says, keep looking to the future, and you never know what will happen.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Keelia! It was great to see you and the lunch bunch while you were in Vermont! I should see if I can grab the Ally and come down. My father moved to Mass. recently so that would take care of part of the drive down and give us a place to stay maybe.

    Take care of yourself and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Parker! That would be a fun trip for you guys. It was great to see you too!

    ReplyDelete