Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gateway Summer

It has been a few weeks since I last posted an update...it's been a busy time here at the Gateway! We closed Spamalot in Patchogue over a week ago with great success. Loading out of Patchogue and having a complete changeover from student production Tommy into mainstage Sunset Boulevard on the Bellport stage made for a very intense week. This changeover in particular was hard because not everyone was prepared and we had a week straight of rushing to get things done on time. I've said it before and I will say it again: I'm learning a lot this summer, especially things to avoid.

We then went into a midnight tech and Friday morning opening of Dora's Pirate Adventure: Gateway's own Dora the Explorer musical, live. More to come on Sunset and Dora in another post!

This changeover marks the end of the summer for many people here at Gateway. A lot of interns have left and are leaving over the Sunset run, which is a relief in some ways, and makes things harder in other ways. The stage crew, for example, is short-handed. Luckily we have some great high school kids who have started to work in the shop and help out more and more often, especially since Tommy closed. The extra space and peace is certainly welcomed by those of us in the staff house and kitchen!

I have 2 more weeks here on Long Island; through the run of Sunset Boulevard and then until Sweeny Todd opens. I am sad I won't be here for the run of Sweeny Todd, but at least I'll get to see it and work on it a little. I will be celebrating my birthday opening night, and heading home for a few days before school starts up again.

There's lot of activity on the class of 2015 facebook page for the incoming class, which is very exciting! I'm ready for a great senior year, without too many outside commitments to take me away from the McCarthy stage and the exciting projects I have waiting there. I will be back in Vermont with friends and family for the first time (for more than a few days, anyway) in 8 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment