Thursday, December 8, 2011

First Snowfall!

Yesterday, Saint Mike's got it's first permanent snowfall! It was a beautiful night. When I got home from an Irish Christmas music concert (Cherish the Ladies at the Flynn theater) I took a walk with my camera.

The campus was hushed and misty, and took me to a natural, wild place. I love winter, despite the cold, and winter nights are the best. Whether the snow is blanketing down or the sky is clear to the stars, it's a beautiful time of year. I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights, and my walk last night reminded me that if I do get to work on a cruise ship, I should apply for the Alaskan lines.

There's something so still about the world in December that goes beyond cheery Christmas music and decorations, something deep blue instead of bright red, something that you can't help but feel if you stop and take deep breath and really open your eyes to what's around you. Thank God for my Vermont upbringing; I have the ability to do this and to appreciate the beauty all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment