Saturday, January 7, 2012

Spring Semester: Senior Year

In about a week, I'm going to be moving back to Saint Michael's College for the last time as an undergraduate student. Everyone has told me that it will be the best time of my life, and I believe it. I'm looking forward to a variety of things the semester has to offer.

One thing that has always made me think is that college is supposed to be about learning.You learn new things every day, whether it is in class, learning to live with other people, learning your limits when it comes to going out on the weekends, and learning how to survive in the "real" world. Something I learned this past semester was that I have a passion for studying Shakespeare. Because of this, I decided to drop my Spanish class for spring semester and pursue an independent study in Shakespeare. I will keep you posted on how that goes!

My other classes are all on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have a 4-hour senior seminar in theater, which will involve reading and discussing plays and working on our showcase projects. I'm taking costume crafts, at long last, which will be an awesome class. Finally, the icing on the cake is Tolkien and Medievalism, a class where we will read and discuss Tolkien's major works. That class is also a 4-hour whopper. It should be great though!!

Other things coming up this semester include the American College Theater Festival, a week in January where the drama club sends contestants and involved members to Fitchberg, MA, to compete for acting and design awards; to attend workshops; to meet peers and contacts; and to work as stage managers or interns. This year I'm going as a tech intern, which will be fun.

The Drama Club also hosts a trip to NYC to see a show, which I've never participated in but am hoping to this year. We have 2 senior showcases apart from the mainstage this semester, all of which will be great opportunities for actors and technicians to get involved. My own senior showcase is lighting design for the mainstage, a devised piece of theater called APP-etite. It will be a challenge because I don't know the storyline yet! There is no script. I will start attending rehearsals in February and watch the show take shape.

More updates to come, including my job search/applications, shows for 2012, and more! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment