Sunday, February 5, 2012

2 Shows in Burlington

Yesterday, I saw two shows: the matinee performance of Vermont Stage Company's The Clean House at the Flynnspace and the evening performance of Circa, an Australian dance company on the Flynn mainstage.

The Vermont Stage Company (VSC) is Burlington's local professional theater company in its 18th season, mainly producing shows at the Flynnspace, a black box theater run in conjunction with the main Flynn theater. Recently, producing artistic director Mark Nash retired, and direction of VSC changed to Cristina Alicea, who made her directorial debut with The Clean House. I am fortunate enough to know several contributors to the artistic side of VSC's productions, and so was hired to help load-in the set and work on lights to prepare for this show. Seeing the final product of something I've worked on, even when it was just for a few days, is always a great reward.

The Clean House by Sarah Ruhl is a quirky play edging toward surreal. The relationships developed by the 5 characters throughout the show are moving, making the audience laugh and tear up; making us think. I enjoyed the light atmosphere maintained by wit and real-life interactions, change of location, and the occasional aside by Matilde. It wasn't too long. I also enjoyed the use of space in the intimate Flynnspace and how John Forbes' lighting showed us location and mood-- always important with theatrical lighting, but especially well handled in this instance. I saw the play with my mom, which was nice!

The evening's show was a series of dances and acrobatic feats by Circa, a dance company from Australia. The Flynn usually features many companies from all over the world, making its mainstage season varied and interesting. I went with a class; it was nice to see a performance surrounded by peers (especially in those moments when my stage management side took over and started praying for the performers who were twirling and flipping way up in the air) and during those moments where the lights or music were especially nice and we could all appreciate it fully. (Yes, I'm a nerd like that!) The performers were incredible. The sheer balance and daring required for some of the moves they did-- not to mention the trust in one another!-- blew my mind. The muscles they each have are intense. It makes me wish 1) I could dance and 2) I actually tried to stretch and work out more! Alas the busy life!

It's great to be living in a city where the arts are so prominent! Not all places have such great performance calendars. Thanks, Burlington!

No comments:

Post a Comment