Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Granada!

spiral steps leading to the roof of my residencia!
Not even a whole week in Granada and it feels like we've been here for a while! Last Thursday we hopped off the Toledo bus and moved into our various residencias, host family houses, and apartments. I am living in a residencia with 12 other students, 3 of whom are also from the API study abroad program. Our residencia is located in the main commercial center of Granada, albeit down a sketchy looking side street (it only LOOKS sketchy- there are lots of people around and little bars and pastry shops as well. The main street with huge stores is literally a few steps out the door!)

yep, this is the view where I live :)
From here, we are a few moments away from Correos- the post office and meeting point for several tours- and la Plaza Nueva. School is about 10-15 minutes away by foot, as is the API office, and what pleasant walks they are! Orange trees line the streets here and every apartment has a little balcony porch. My room, in la residencia Aguila, doesn't have a balcony or much of a view, but at least we can get some sun in the room.



Right now I'm writing from the rooftop, where we have a little terrace that overlooks some very awesome other buildings. It's sunny out and warm enough (for once!) to be up here; hopefully the laundry hanging next to me will dry today! Hanging laundry is one of the many differences we've experienced so far. From little things, like pillowcases that open on both sides, always wearing shoes inside, not having hot water, and going around the corner for fresh bread everyday- to bigger things, like listening to Spanish all the time and practicing speaking, trying new foods, and walking everywhere, I feel like my way of living is changing already.

Bri, Myrthia, Isa, and I are having a little trouble adjusting to life in the residencia, however. We signed up for this housing option hoping to meet Spanish students and enjoy home-cooked prepaid meals, but the students have their own schedules. The food is about Alliot quality from the cafeteria back home. We're doing our best to stay positive, but it's hard for Isa and I particularly to sleep, since our room is based right next to the kitchen and common area. API is looking into a change of housing for us, but if the options presented aren't any better I'm prepared to stick it out. This wonderful rooftop is enough for me to stay here right now :)

the view down my street.
So far, we've toured el Albaicin (the old Moorish quarter of the city) and la Alhambra (the Red Fortress, an old Arabic palace that was the last stronghold in Granada when the monarchs Isabelle and Ferdinand converted Spain to Catholicism) as well as the pieces of our university that we'll be studying in. Please check out the "study abroad pictures" link at the top of the page!

We also took a placement exam on Monday, which was like a Spanish SAT and very hard at times. The oral part was the worst for me! I got a level 4 (out of 10) which is fine by me: the classes I originally signed up for fit into that category.We don't actually start classes until February 7th, though. More to come on el Albaicin, la Alhambra, and updates on housing/classes/city adventures!

Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment