Thursday, September 1, 2011

Transitions

It's been a while since my last post because things have been busy, busy, busy! I survived through the end of my contract as an intern at the Gateway Playhouse; I will write a post about Sweeney Todd, our last show of the season, after hopefully returning to visit and see it again; and I'll also post some reflections about the summer soon.

I drove home right in front of Hurricane Irene, and had a nice day with my parents and seeing my family before loading up the car for school. I'm glad I left a day early, given the devastating rain and flooding that Vermont is still recovering from. Luckily my family suffered no damage to homes and are all unhurt, myself included, but our hometown and surrounding areas were completely flooded and many people are left with ruined homes, no jobs, and dismal businesses. Another point of damage in Vermont includes its historical covered bridges, many of which were damaged or destroyed in the storm. Check out the NYTimes article for more information about that.

Moving back to Saint Mike's was and is a pretty big deal for me...I am now a senior and living in a townhouse with 3 good friends. It has been 8 months since I spent time at St Mike's! Unfortunately our happy reunion was marred by the death of a close friend of my friends, a young woman who was our age and closely related to the SMC community with Fire & Rescue and Common Ground. It's been a very stressful week for my friends, who spent a lot of time with her last semester while I was in Spain, and I'm doing my best to be there for them and take some stress away! It helps that I am not on the SMC Drama Club Executive Board this year, but have been for the past 3 years, so at least they can leave some of that stuff to myself and others for a while.

It's been a rough week in many ways, but I know VT and my friends will pull through. Thinking of the many people who have suffered losses this week. More updates to come soon- including on my wonderful townhouse and classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment