Thursday, April 26, 2012

As You Like It

Last night, I attended Vermont Stage Company's season closer As You Like It at the Flynnspace in Burlington. Having worked briefly on the show hanging lights, it was a treat to see the performance that my adviser John (who designed lights and also was the technical director for this show) talked about and built while we were running APPetite.

I enjoyed the performance very much. True to the nature of Shakespeare, it included a highly energetic cast of cross-dressing role-swapping men and women, various subplots and love affairs, lots of slapstick humor and modern-day references, and some songs inbetween scenes. I was impressed by how believable every character was even with multiple roles played by the same actor. The minimalistic set and use of the space-- oriented in an arena style-- were also admirable. There was a breathtaking moment with flower petals that caused myself and my friends, also technicians and designers, to hold our collective breath; that moment in every good performance where I remember why I do and love this.

As You Like It is showing through May 6th; don't miss out!



No comments:

Post a Comment