Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring at Saint Mike's


 It has been a few weeks since I posted because things have gotten so busy! APPetite, the spring mainstage and my senior showcase in lighting design, opened successfully last week, and this week is the last chance to see it. (Friday and Saturday are sold out; email appetitesmc@gmail.com for tonight and Thursday's reservations!) I am pleased with my work and will write another update concluding that process soon. 

Last Saturday, I attended UVM's 9th Annual Tolkien Conference, which I was invited to write about for Geek Mountain State. You can find that article here! I tried to remain positive, though the topic of the conference (Tolkien's Bestiary) was a difficult one to really connect deeper meanings, and only a few papers stood out. However, as a part of the Tolkien & Medievalism class here at Saint Mike's, it was a great experience to see what other people are researching on the subject.

I also saw a production of The Imaginary Invalid at Middlebury College over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was high-quality work and despite some trouble getting in with the box office, I found myself wondering why Saint Mike's theater doesn't interact more with Middlebury. Perhaps that is a route for the Drama Club to explore.

Vermont Stage Company opens As You Like It tonight, the final show of their season this year at the Flynnspace in Burlington. With my adviser John Devlin the acting technical director as well as lighting designer for this show, myself and some other Saint Mike's theater students got some good work experience in. I'm so glad this is a connection we have been able to cultivate this year! Don't miss out on the show. Also, for all my actor friends out there, VSC is holding auditions for a special project of Eurydice Monday, April 23rd in Burlington-- contact cristina@vtstage.org for a slot and more information.


In other news, graduation is approaching! I picked up my cap and gown and study abroad sash today. I wish I could enjoy my last few weeks, but I'm really stressed out about my classes. I'm behind in Tolkien, working hard on my Shakespeare independent study, need to start (and complete) a costume for Costume Crafts, not to mention Senior Seminar, which has been piling exams and follow-up papers and especially my portfolio. I know it's  best to take things one day at a time...but I'm having a hard time not panicking. And I have a nasty cold! At least the weather has been nice. I took my camera out a few days ago.


 More updates soon, when things are less crazy. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment