Thursday, June 6, 2013

Week 1

Now I am in Ithaca, NY, working at the Hangar theater as their Master Carpenter. Week 1 has been a blast! It is so good to be back. I am living with one of my best friends, Meg, and working closely with her, our awesome TD, and a great staff and crew this year.

We are currently working on The Last of the Red Hot Lovers by Neil Simon, scenic design by Ken Goldstein, a familiar face for me at this point. The set is a pretty interesting combo of walls and doors, columns, and a large ceiling piece, as well as lots of platforming, and some added audience seating to make an especially unusual configuration. We started load in this week and it is really starting to come together. I will take some process pictures to post soon!

Moving up from the staff carpenter position into the Master Carpenter job is a great transition. I have 2 interns and an apprentice in the shop, as well as Meg, who is the staff carpenter. Handing off projects to her is great. Finding jobs and helping my interns is definitely more of a challenge, but it's one I am enjoying so far. There is certainly a balance between delegating tasks and not having something to do myself....it is strange. I hope my 'ducklings' will continue to do well because they have impressed me a lot so far. I draw a lot of inspiration from our MC last summer, Papa Steve, because he bonded well with everyone in the shop and always had a list of stuff ready for people to work on, which is an incredibly handy thing to remember and use.

More soon! Thanks for reading!  
my Mini was pretty well packed for the drive up here!

Meg and I decided this is our official summer sweet drink

My geranium is actually blooming! I am really good at killing plants...so this is a big deal.   

No comments:

Post a Comment