Monday, May 2, 2011

America's News: As Heard From Abroad

I woke up this morning in my bed in Granada, Spain, in the residencia I have been living in for almost 4 months now. I ate some breakfast and then checked facebook, twitter, and various news websites, all of which featured a story of justice that the American people have been waiting for. For me, the news of bin Laden's death was a mixed relief.

Seeing the news all over the online and social media worlds about the death of Osama bin Laden, after 10 years of hunting for him and fighting the war on terror in the Middle East, is certainly something to celebrate in terms of a huge American success. As President Obama said in his eloquent address last night, the people of our country can feel united again in a way that we haven't since 9/11/2001. Osama's death may even be something of a turning point in our efforts in the Middle East, especially given Pakistan's agreement that yesterday's events were good for both of our countries.

But. For someone studying abroad, the victory is a strange one. For one thing, no one in Spain is pumping shots and screaming "USA!" I received an email from the U.S. Embassy this morning with a heightened travel alert due to events in Pakistan, and warnings to be aware of more anti-American sentiments that may follow. While I think I can safely say I doubt I'll be in danger here in Southern Spain, the message made me wary.

Finally, on a personal note, I don't believe anyone's death should be celebrated just for the sake of death. While the thousands of people who lost loved ones or were injured due to bin Laden can find some relief and closure, and I doubt bin Laden could have been taken and held alive, it's a sad sight to see from afar the American people screaming victory over a death that may or may not help the real battle in the long run. And the idea that some of our people are continuing with anti-Islamic ideas is hard to hear as well: my class on Islamic Culture, as well as the huge influence of the Arabs here in Granada, has taught me that more than anything, Islam is a peaceful religion. In the words of our President last night: "The United States is not– and never will be– at war with Islam. I’ve made clear, just as President Bush did shortly after 9/11, that our war is not against Islam. Bin Laden was not a Muslim leader; he was a mass murderer of Muslims." For a people that value peace and dignity, bin Laden was just as much of a bad guy as he was to the U.S.

It's a start to the end of the war, we hope, but there is a long way to go in the Middle East.

Read or watch President Obama's address here.

Related link: What to Expect From TSA and Airport Security

No comments:

Post a Comment