Friday, May 6, 2011

Another Quick Update!

This weekend I'm off to Cadiz, a beach town in the southwest of Spain, with API. I've posted some recent pictures to Flickr, so be sure to check them out!

We've been learning about flamenco in my Spanish Culture and Civilization class. Flamenco is considered one of the purest art forms, although in recent years it has been influenced by other types of music like classical, jazz, and pop. There are 3 main aspects: the dancing, the singing, and the guitar playing. The origins of flamenco are unknown, but it's an art highly practiced by the gypsies in southern Spain (and is also very popular in Japan, oddly enough) who are thought to have come from Egypt. Granada is really a city of flamenco because you can walk to el Albaicin or Sacromonte, the older quarters of the city, and hear music playing. Flamenco dresses are also sold in many places here. I have a flamenco video posted from a show API took us to a few weeks ago.

When I get back from this weekend I'll be working on a post for SMC's Internship blog and another update here! About 20 more days in Spain...enjoying every minute :)

No comments:

Post a Comment